Social responsibility is a core part for current companies. Organizations and stakeholders are increasingly aware of the need and benefits of socially responsible behavior. The performance of an organization with respect to the measures it takes with society and the environment has become a parameter for consumers, in order to measure the efficiency and the integral performance of the companies.
Not only the consumers take part in this business scrutiny, stakeholders (which are interest groups such as government, investors, communities, unions, competitors, employees) also play a very important role in this criterion. The different stakeholders can greatly influence the growth of an organization, internal and external perception, can affect, among other things:
– Your competitive advantage
-Loyalty of the workforce or customers
-Perception of investors, shareholders, suppliers or creditors
-Your relationship with other companies, organizations or the government
ISO 26000 is an international standard that wants to help organizations find a place within social responsibility and sustainability, within the public or private sector.
The principles of ISO 26000 are the following
• Accountability: Is the ability of an organization to be responsible, that is, even if the results are negative or positive, the company must report on the use of its resources and its contribution to the environment, to the public.
• Transparency: the obligation of companies to report to all stakeholders about the nature of their activities.
• Ethical behavior: the way in which organizations behave must be consistent with their organizational philosophy and ideals. An ethical structure means that your actions are carried out to really support sustainable development and not to generate profits.
• Respect for the interests of the interested parties: The interest groups have needs with the company, and these must be respected and taken care of. This in order to obtain a good relationship in the short and long term.
• Respect for the principle of legality: It is the knowledge that no organization is above the law, and, of course, to support it so that it is applied ethically and truthfully.
• Respect international behavioral regulations: international regulations on the regulations required for the environment must be respected, as well as those at the national and local levels, and also promote the dissemination of these regulations for everyone’s knowledge.
• Regarding human rights: An organization, due to its commitment to society, must apply the importance and universality of human rights to all those who surround its context. The company must protect those agents who are directly and indirectly related to the organization.
The ISO 26000 is a great tool for companies, helps them make good intentions a reality. Not only do organizations obtain a series of advantages by joining this initiative, but they can also contribute something meaningful to society.
Soñador y constructor de mundos.